Friday, October 14, 2011

My sister and gathering advice

I have been trying to think of something really cleaver to say for your Birthday or tell a great story about you but I am not feeling it other than I feel really bad about making you eat dirt when you were a little kid.  Sorry about that.

So I will just tell you that you are a wonderful woman and I am so proud to call you my sister.  Really I am the luckiest sister to have you.  There is no one n-o o-n-e that makes me laugh that way that you do.  Even when you were telling me the story today of you going to the Emergency room with your heart stuff.  How scary for you and yet when you are telling me about it I just wanted to laugh.  Other than that you were at the hospital and your heart is freaking out which is not funny at all.  I hope you have a wonderful Birthday.  Which brings me to my thoughts on parties, holidays, and any celebration or gathering.

My philosopy is this:  Christmas does not have to happen on the 24th and 25th of December.  It happens when the most people can get together or it happens multiple times.

Thanksgiving:  Pick a spot, figure out the food and be thankful that who ever made it could make it and that you are all fed and got to share some time together.

Birthdays:  It is great to have birthday parties.  Again they don't have to be on that day.  But be thankful that who could come did.  Gifts are really hard to buy and some people just do not have the nack for it so go easy on them.  Quite often there is some humor in it all.  Grandma S. for instance.  Do not shop at a store that you (Grandma S.) buy your own clothes at.  Your Granddaughters are not going to wear anything that comes out of that store.  That is just how it is.  Love you Grandma and I wouldn't have that piece of advice for others or story to tell if it wasn't for you.  But I was able to hand off a bunch of those items to older friends of mine that really appreciated them.  I should mention that celebrating with birthday weeks is really fun, because it is all for that person and you are bound to have at least one day that really makes you feel special.  The same is true with a wedding.  It is definately a week long celebration! 

Easter:  You have to have a jelly bean hunt and go to church and other than that I would say follow the guidelines for Thanksgiving.

Most important though is that whoever shows up at that moment is just who was supposed to show up.  Don't be pissed off the whole time because someone didn't come, it makes everyone else feel like they don't matter and puts everyone in a bad mood.  And always make your expecations clear but don't hold it against people if they just can't make it work.  Gatherings are way more fun that way. 
WOW that was a lot.  I should maybe get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment